My Peeps

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Power of Vulnerability

Being vulnerable comes naturally for me most of the time. I've learned to push into the uncomfortable feeling. Sometimes it works out for the best and some of the time it doesn't. I love real connection. I love getting to know the REAL person underneath the masks and charades. If you know me personally, you'll attest to the fact that I don't like small talk and will push past all that to get to the nitty-gritty, no matter how uncomfortable or messy it gets... because I crave REAL connection. Maybe its because in my childhood, I longed for someone to know the dark secrets of what was happening in my home behind closed doors. I don't know.

On a side note; I don't understand people who would rather hide behind their masks than be honest about who they are. Seriously, people like that puzzle and frustrate me. I know its scary to be real with people. I know its hard to know who you can trust. But, the adventure and the outcome is worth the effort. The feeling of REAL connection is priceless and it will change you for the better when it happens. Figuring out WHO is trustworthy, can only happen as you become more and more vulnerable. All the while hoping you can trust that person with the deepest, most tender parts of your being.

I hope you'll take 20mins and watch this video below. Its pretty interesting; especially if you're a people person or enjoy digging into the psyche of human nature. Check it out...

"Brene Brown studies human connection -- our ability to empathize, belong, love. In a poignant, funny talk at TEDxHouston, she shares a deep insight from her research, one that sent her on a personal quest to know herself as well as to understand humanity. A talk to share."



If you are a person who has a hard time being vulnerable and real with the people around you; let me challenge you to step out into the uncomfortable place of vulnerability. Find a person that you think might care to know the real you. Start small. Don't dump your darkest secrets on them at first.. but test the waters. God created us for connection. We can't be fully loved until we're fully known.

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.”

C.S. Lewis

1 comment:

  1. Wow- will def watch the video later but that quote from C.S. Lewis is so awesome. Sure does make you think about the darkness your life will be surrounded with if you choose not to let anyone in to your heart. Vulnerability- something God has shown me is a transformative factor in relationships- takes acquaintances to kindred spirits...simply because of trusting the other person with your true self. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete