My Peeps

Monday, January 17, 2011

Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus...

First, take a minute and watch this video of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's last speech:



It would seem to me, that this man had an encounter with his heavenly Father. The things he said point to a spiritual experience. If I were to guess, I'd say he had a God-inspired dream. God was encouraging him to not give up. Maybe God gave Him a glimpse into the future somehow?...Encouraging him that all his painful efforts would work actually work a miracle in this country. Did God tell him he was going to die? There's no way for us to know. But, the main thing that strikes me is the underlying confidence and faith he has. He was desperately trying to encourage his followers to not give up. He was trying to let them know that there was a higher power at work and the outcome they've been hoping and fighting for was on its way.

This is a man, who knew his Father. God saw his suffering heart and loved him so much that I believe God gave him a glimpse into the future. Encouragement for his weary soul.

There's a song from my childhood that I love. The sound of the congregation singing it acapella still echo inside me. It was a beautiful sound in my ears. The powerfully written words in this song obviously come from a person, like MLK Jr., who understood adversity and pain, but had a trust in Jesus that was unwavering.

"’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
And to know, “Thus saith the Lord!”


Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!"
Written by:   Louisa M. R. Stead, 1882

May we all, be inspired by the life of this great man; to love and trust our heavenly Father with all we are, to live courageously, to give generously, to love unconditionally and then to die and leave a legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment